14 February 2017

A little happy Tutorial (of sorts!) ~ Tilda Bumblebee Heart Mini Quilt





Oh what fun I had last night.  I decided late afternoon to finally cut into some of the new Tilda Bumblebee fabrics that I had bought home from the shop.  It's such a pretty collection don't you agree?


For my little project, I picked some of the lovely green and pink fabrics and then added in an Essential Dot by Moda and a Ticking Stripe from Bespoke Blooms by Brenda Riddle (also an extremely pretty collection!)

As this was a rather spur of the moment make I didn't take any 'in progress' photo's, but I thought you may like to know how I made it, so I thought I would talk you through the steps..... hopefully it will make sense!

From each of the 6 fabrics I had chosen, I cut a 10" long strip, but I varied the width of each.  I've given the width measuresment that I cut them at below......


With RST, I then sewed the strips together along the 10" length edge.  I then made a large heart template from some A4 paper, which I traced on to some light weight interfacing (I use Vilene L11 30).  I then placed this on to the right side of the fabric strips, machine stitched on the drawn line, and then cut out the heart, allowing for a rough 1/4" seam allowance all round.  More pictures and details on this process can be found in THIS BLOG POST.

Once turned through, I then machine sewed some pretty lace across the heart, allowing a little excess (aprox 1/2") either side, which I tucked under, when I appliqued it to a 12 1/2" square of background fabric, which by the way, was Essex Linen in Natural.

Once layered up with wadding and backing fabric, I hand quilted around the outside and across the heart in 3 places.  For this I used Aurifil 12wt in a pretty Teal shade #2845, which picked up on the teal Bumblebees and flowers rather nicely. 



To finish, I added some pretty vintage Mother of Pearl buttons from my stash and before adding the binding (which was a super crosshatch gingham, again by Brenda Riddle) I sewed some more cotton lace around the edge.

There you go, a really easy and super quick project.  I'm thinking how lovely would a quilt be made up of lots of these 12" blocks or maybe make the background fabric a little larger and turn it in to a cushion/pillow....must resist...must resist.........I hope that my instructions make sense, but as always if you have any questions, please do not hestitate to ask!

Scrummy Supplies

This really would be a great project for hitting that overflowing scrap basket, but if you fancy making one like mine, I've put together a pretty money saving fabric bundle which includes a FQ of the 7 fabrics I used to piece the front, plus a Long Quarter of the Binding fabric.   You can find this on the website HERE.

The full collection of Tilda Bumblebee, can be found HERE.

The 12wt thread I used can be found HERE and I had 50wt Aurifil in Muslin #2311 in machine which I used for both the piecing and quilting, you can find that HERE.

and for pretty lace, take a peek HERE.


That's it for now, see you again soon!

6 comments:

  1. This is adorable and so sweet in every way! I hope to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just lovely, a great way to use scraps too. The instructions are very clear, the only thing I would worry about is getting the lace and binding in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fabric and the lace and the design and the stitching and . . . I can totally see myself being a copycat and making this into a quilt! What a great idea. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH sweet...
    das gefällt mir sehr gut,,,
    die STOFFE passen sehr gut zusammen;;;

    WÜNSCHE noch einen schönen ABEND
    bis bald die BIRGIT aus TIROL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Thank you for the instructions. I may have figured it out for myself, but your notes were very clear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That heart is adorable and just my cup of tea! I will be sure to make one as I have LOTS of scraps ( although your fabric is soooo pretty and sweet....)
    Thanks for sharing your pretty pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, it really does make my day! If you have a question, please do ask away and I will do my very best to answer. Sarah xo