As this was a rather spur of the moment make I didn't take any 'in progress' photo's, but I thought you may like to know how I made it, so I thought I would talk you through the steps..... hopefully it will make sense!
From each of the 6 fabrics I had chosen, I cut a 10" long strip, but I varied the width of each. I've given the width measuresment that I cut them at below......
With RST, I then sewed the strips together along the 10" length edge. I then made a large heart template from some A4 paper, which I traced on to some light weight interfacing (I use Vilene L11 30). I then placed this on to the right side of the fabric strips, machine stitched on the drawn line, and then cut out the heart, allowing for a rough 1/4" seam allowance all round. More pictures and details on this process can be found in THIS BLOG POST.
Once turned through, I then machine sewed some pretty lace across the heart, allowing a little excess (aprox 1/2") either side, which I tucked under, when I appliqued it to a 12 1/2" square of background fabric, which by the way, was Essex Linen in Natural.
Once layered up with wadding and backing fabric, I hand quilted around the outside and across the heart in 3 places. For this I used Aurifil 12wt in a pretty Teal shade #2845, which picked up on the teal Bumblebees and flowers rather nicely.
There you go, a really easy and super quick project. I'm thinking how lovely would a quilt be made up of lots of these 12" blocks or maybe make the background fabric a little larger and turn it in to a cushion/pillow....must resist...must resist.........I hope that my instructions make sense, but as always if you have any questions, please do not hestitate to ask!
This really would be a great project for hitting that overflowing scrap basket, but if you fancy making one like mine, I've put together a pretty money saving fabric bundle which includes a FQ of the 7 fabrics I used to piece the front, plus a Long Quarter of the Binding fabric. You can find this on the website HERE.
The full collection of Tilda Bumblebee, can be found HERE.
The 12wt thread I used can be found HERE and I had 50wt Aurifil in Muslin #2311 in machine which I used for both the piecing and quilting, you can find that HERE.
and for pretty lace, take a peek HERE.