1 November 2016

Farm Girl Vintage ~ Scrappy Maple Leaf Table Topper



On my wish list for what seems an age, was to make a Scrappy Maple Leaf quilt.  Well I didn't quite manage a full size quilt but I have made a Scrappy Maple Leaf table topper, which has somewhat satisfied the itch!

Obviously I knew exactly where to go for the pattern and pulled out my copy of Lori Holt's fabulous book Farm Girl Vintage Book...honestly if I could only have one quilting book this would be it!  I used the Tabletopper setting from P.122 and combined a 12" Postage Stamp Block from P.57 with twelve 6" Scrappy Maple Leaf Blocks from P.58.


The fabrics I used are mix of scrummy 1930's reproductions and the background is a Black on Cream swiss dot from Riley Blake......whilst talking Black on Cream/White, there has been so many new arrivals this last week or so in that colourway......Thicket, Chestnut Street, Handmade...here's a little flat lay I did to celebrate Halloween, which of course was much enjoyed in our household!



I chose an orange stripe from Backyard Roses for the binding...I know, I'm so predictable when it comes to my binding choices!  Maybe my New Years resolution for 2017 should be to use anything BUT stripes (however I can not promise that's a resolution I would stick to!)

For the quilting I initially decided to free motion quilt pebbles on the background fabric, which would have looked fantastic if I had used a solid fabric, but I didn't like the effect on the polka dots...after an evening spent unpicking....I eventually went for a spiral, which provides just enough interest without being over the top....lets be honest there's a lot going on in this little quilt!




I'm really pleased with how it turned out.....I would still one day like to make a full size Maple Leaf quilt, but for now this will have to do!  By the way isn't it great to put on those winter boots and coloured tights...I think I'm definitely an Autumn girl at heart...I wonder what your favourite season is?

Thanks so much for visiting and see you again soon!
Share:

5 comments

  1. What a beautiful little quilt and I love the spiral quilting! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. I still want to do a full sized autumn quilt, but my table runner was as far as I got this year! I love the quilting you chose in the end. I'm an Autumn girl too - love my brown boots, jumpers and puffer! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never would have made a bear paw with light colors but it is so very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have taken my `Farm Girl Vintage` off the book shelf and written down the pages to make this lovely quilt. Now to sort fabric :) Yours is lovely. Happy Stitching.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, it really does make my day! If you have a question, please do ask away and I will do my very best to answer. Sarah xo

Update July 2020: Unfortunately, due to a large increase in spam and inappropriate comments, I have turned on 'Comment Moderation', so your comment will not appear immediately. My apologies for this!

© A Little Happy Place | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig